In this issue:
- Resilient Communities: Call for Communities
- Legislative Updates
- 2nd Annual Legal Workshop
- SANE-A Clinical Skills Lab
- Save the Date: Child Abuse Prevention Month and Breakfast Event
Resilient Communities: Call for Communities
South Dakota Resilient Communities is investing in community-led efforts to prevent childhood adversity and increase family resiliency. With support from South Dakota Community Foundation’s BIG Grant, six communities in Eastern South Dakota will be selected in 2023 to receiving funding for collective community efforts.
Facilitating teams in Brookings and Codington Counties have successfully used community coalitions to educate stakeholders and community members on Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs). They have addressed ways to increase Positive Childhood Experiences (PCEs) in their community, with the goal to build more resilient, self-healing communities.
Resilient Communities framework is available to access by all South Dakota communities. Six Eastern SD communities will be selected to receive funding for 2023 to pilot a cohort/hub model. “The framework for Resilient Communities is meant to be customized to work alongside current community initiatives or coalitions,” said Center for the Prevention of Child Maltreatment Director, Carrie Sanderson. “The cohort model will enable us to onboard additional communities at the same time, learning alongside one another and adopting best practices in a more efficient manner,” said Sanderson.
To learn more about the grant funding available and the Resilient Communities framework, visit ResilientSD.com.
2022 Annual Report
The 2022 Annual Report is available at SDCPCM.com. Among the highlights from the last year:
- 25% average monthly increase in participation in the second year of the Court Improvement Program monthly training sessions.
- 144 nurses participated in quarterly and clinical skills lab training through the Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners Learning Collaborative.
- 2 law fellows developed an inaugural legal workshop for students and professionals focused on child welfare.
- 5 student interns gained professional experience in their support of CPCM programming.
- 130 South Dakotans participated in six early childhood conversations leading up to the development of the first Early Childhood Comprehensive Systems strategic plan.
- 27 Indigenous leaders and non-Indigenous but serving relatives joined the 200 South Dakotans in becoming Master Trainers on ACEs (adverse childhood experiences).
- First publication of State of South Dakota Children’s Wellbeing Data Initiative Report.
See the report.
Week 4 highlights include: HB 1044 (provides scholarships for behavioral health professionals) has been referred to the Joint Committee of Appropriations. SB 70 (revise provisions related to courtroom modifications for child witnesses) passed the Senate and has been assigned to the House Judiciary Committee.
CPCM has added several new pieces of legislation to our watch list. The CPCM Legislative Tracker is updated by 8pm each Friday. To view the updates, click here.
Legal Workshop Registration
March 28, 2023 • 9am to 3pm
Muenster University Center Ballroom, Vermillion, SD
This FREE workshop is intended for law students, legal professionals, and others interested in better understanding trauma-informed approaches in legal proceedings. Lunch will be provided.
Court Improvement Program
The February CIP Session will take place on Wednesday, February 22 at 12:00 pm CST. Session details are coming, but registration is available now.
Register now to attend and receive the session recording.
SANE-A Clinical Skills Lab
USD’s Parry Center for Clinical Skills & Simulation – Sioux Falls, SD
Provides clinical practice to nurses who are new SANEs or SANEs who have not had the opportunity to perform many exams.
Save the Date
April is Child Abuse Prevention Month. Stay tuned for details for ways to raise awareness this year!
The CPCM breakfast event will launch our awareness campaign of Child Abuse Prevention Month. Make plans to join us April 4. Additional details coming soon!