The Data Initiative seeks to investigate data in South Dakota surrounding the health and wellness of children for the purpose of:
- Improving state and local-level tracking and monitoring of children’s wellbeing data in South Dakota;
- Improving statewide access to timely and relevant data on the wellbeing of South Dakota children; and
- Increasing state-level data-driven decision making to promote the wellbeing of South Dakota children.
The initial Data Initiative was made possible through funding from the South Dakota Department of Education, with the inaugural report released in June 2022. The inaugural report includes:
- A summary of findings collected via an electronic survey on data accessibility, gaps, and needs;
- Findings from a focus group of SD epidemiologists exploring common facilitators and barriers to accessing and sharing children’s health data, data gaps, and issues regarding data sovereignty;
- An overview of databases tracking SD children’s well-being indicators; and
- An overview of the types of indicators being tracked.