The Center for the Prevention of Child Maltreatment annually presents the Outstanding Service Award during the Community Response to Child Abuse Conference. This award is presented to an individual who has made a great impact in the response to or prevention of child abuse. Nominations may include but are not limited to:
- An individual who has made an outstanding efforts to assist in the field of child maltreatment.
- An individual who has made substantial contributions specifically to CPCM’s 10-year plan to end child maltreatment in South Dakota
- An individual who has made significant contribution to research on child maltreatment.
- A professional (child protection, law enforcement, mental health, education, legal, medical, etc.) who demonstrates extraordinary dedication and skill in his or her direct care efforts on behalf of children and families.
- An individual who has made outstanding contributions to the prevention of child maltreatment.
- An individual who has made outstanding contribution to the response of child maltreatment in South Dakota.
Past recipients of the award include:
- 2023: Tifanie Petro, Children’s Home Society of South Dakota
- 2022: Virgena Weiseler, Department of Social Services
- 2021: Deb Soholt, State Senate
- 2020: Chief Justice David Gilbertson, Unified Judicial System
- 2019: Carole Cochran, SD Kids Count
- 2018: Special Agent Cameron Corey, Division of Criminal Investigation