In this issue:
- Join Us: Children’s Day at the Capitol
- CIP January Registration
- SANE Training Opportunity
- WIC CIAO Training Opportunities
- Resilient Communities – Brookings & Codington Trainings
- MDT Conference
- CPCM Happenings
Join Us: Children’s Day at the Capitol
Make plans to join us for the 2024 Children’s Day at the Capitol! Annually, organizations with an interest in bettering the lives of children and families will gather during the legislative session to inform the public, lawmakers, government staff and other advocates about our work.
Tuesday, January 23
- 5:30pm to 7:30pm – Evening Reception at Drifter’s Bar & Grille, hosted by SD Afterschool Network
Wednesday, January 24 and Thursday, January 25
- 9:00am to 12:00pm – Attend committee hearings (optional)
- 10:00am to 1:00pm – Informational booths in the Rotunda (American Heart Association will be offering hands only CPR training)
- 11:00am to 12:30pm – Lunch provided in the Rotunda
- 1:00pm – Children’s Day recognition in the chambers, attend legislative session
Visit https://sdcpcm.com/childrens-day for more information
2024 Advocacy Initiatives
South Dakota’s Center for the Prevention of Child Maltreatment’s 2024 advocacy initiatives cover key policy initiatives for South Dakota, emphasizing prevention, family support, reporting procedures and data-driven policymaking. Our initiatives are based on the CDC’s evidence-based framework for child abuse and neglect prevention strategies. The following initiatives were established because they reduce risk factors and increase protective factors associated with child abuse and neglect prevention.
- Strengthen Economic Supports to Families
- Change Social Norms to Support Parents and Positive Parenting
- Provide Quality Care and Education Early in Life
- Enhance Parenting Skills to Promote Healthy Child Development
- Intervene to Lessen Harms and Prevent Future Risk
To see our full list of advocacy initiatives and receive updates throughout the legislative session, visit https://sdcpcm.com/our-work/legislative-activity/
Court Improvement Program
The November CIP session, Understanding Psychosexual Assessments of Adult Offenders is now available to view.
Join us on Wednesday, January 31 for Child & Family Services Review & Data-Driven Processes presented by Ashley Asmus, SD Department of Social Services.
Join us on March 13 for “How to Create and Update a CV” presented by Tracey Decker, SD Network Against Family Violence and Sexual Assault.
For complete SANE Learning Collaborative Resources, visit https://sdcpcm.com/our-work/sane/sane-resources/ (registration required to access complete SANE training library).
Cultural Awareness Online Training
Service providers working with families with young children are invited by CPCM and LSS to a free online training series. Full session details and registration is available at SDCPCM.com/WIC
Tuesdays from 12:00pm to 1:00pm | Zoom Session
1/16: Diversity Panel
2/6: Cross-Cultural Communication
2/20: Working with Interpreters
3/5: Culturally Competent Outreach and Engagement
Thursdays from 6:00pm to 8:00pm | Zoom Session
1/18: Cross-Cultural Communication and Working with Interpreters
2/1: Culturally Competent Outreach and Engagement
Resilient Communities Learning Opportunities
Resilient Community Codington County is hosting a free training opportunity for community members.
January 23 from 6:00pm to 8:00pm at Fallout Shelter Ministries
Understanding ACEs: Building Self-Healing Communities
Resilient Community Brookings County is hosting a free conference for community members.
February 21 from 8:00am to 1:00pm at Dacotah Bank Center
Stronger Together: Building Assets for Brookings, A Day of Suicide Prevention
The Interagency Training Council and statewide sponsors are excited to announce that registration is open for the Multi-disciplinary Response to Victim Services Conference to be held on 03/7/2024 at The Box in Box Elder! Spots are limited to 250!
Beth Bruggeman will be presenting at the Sioux Falls Nonprofit Exchange on the State of SD Children’s Well-being: 2023 Report.